From:
Worldwide <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 23:14:14 -0600
Scott,

When I started to prepare for my May 1997 trip to Eastern Indonesia, it was
suggested that I read "The Malay Archipelago" by Alfred Russell Wallace.
It was that book that got me hooked on the evolutionary concepts that
influence variability in land shells and other living organisms.  And his
paper "On The Tendency of Varieties to Depart Indefinitely From The
Original Type " is also essential reading.  Excerpts of the latter and
others are available on the Internet (see below).

Wallace, a protégé  of Darwin, came up with his own independent theory of
evolution and ideas on natural selection during an eight year sojourn to
the Maluku region of Indonesia in the mid-1850's.  His narrative of
misfortunes, illness and deception during the excursion is fascinating.  He
waxes eloquently about the extraordinary wildlife and beauty of the
islands.  This book along with Darwin's Origins of Species, and a number of
other  papers dealing with evolutionary theory are available on the
Internet, were essential reading before I began to learn more about these
biological concepts.

Gary Rosenberg and Tim Pearce have both been a tremendous help in
explaining many of these concepts that ultimately became the basis for the
Amphidromus article.  Gary mentioned a couple of references dealing with
variation, on Conch-L today which I am going to seek out.  I'm sure a large
library would have books dealing with evolutionary biology which may
explain in more detail, frequency dependent selection, genetic drift, and
the founder effect.

And search the Internet.  I've found excellent Web sites dealing with a
host of biological concepts.  A few, including some Wallace references are
listed below, as well as some print references.

Let us know if you come across anything related to mollusks in particular.

Rich

PRINT:

Alfred Russel Wallace: An Anthology of His Shorter Writings. Charles H.
Smith, ed. Oxford/ New York: Oxford University Press, 1992.

Brooks, John Langdon. Just Before the Origin: Alfred Russell Wallace's
Theory of Evolution. New York: Columbia University Press, 1984.

McKinney, H. Lewis. Wallace and Natural Selection. Yale Studies in the
History of Science and Medicine. New Haven / London: Yale University Press,
1972.

INTERNET:

http://www.literature.org/Works/Charles-Darwin/origin/
        Darwin

gopher://gopher.vt.edu:10010/02/69/2
        Darwin - Origin of Species (tough to read on the computer)

http://www.stg.brown.edu/projects/hypertext/landow/victorian/science/lamarck
1.html
        Commentary on Lamarck's theories of evolution.

http://www.uib.no/zoo/classics/new_species.txt
        Wallace - February, 1855 / "On The Law Which Has Regulated The
Introduction of New Species"

http://www.uib.no/zoo/classics/varieties.html
        Wallace - 1858 "On The Tendency of Varieties to Depart Indefinitely From
The Original Type "