Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 23:31:26 -0500
Thomas E. Eichhorst wrote:

> Emilio,
>
> Read the conch story Michael referenced and you will see that, yes
> people do just that ("meat pulling").  I have encountered more than one
> person who would gladly capture and sell the last breeding pair of
> whatever rare species you want to name, just for the money.
> Unfortunately, I do not believe collecting pressure is the villain in
> the decline of Strombus gigas, the queen or pink conch.  Every bit of
> evidence (admittedly anecdotal) points to loss of habitat.  But still I
> am ready to believe there are folks who would collect every single pink
> conch out of a bay, knowing the illegality of the act.
>
> Tom Eichhorst in New mexico, USA

yes Tom they are out there and I have seen them.  People that care about
nothing except the money. It also shows their character when they leave
the habitat in worse shape than when they found it. Hit the goodspots
before shell clubs take their trips and ravage the area, leave their
trash everywhere, I could go on and on.  You are correct on the
collector aspect though, there just aren't that many folks serious
enough to take live specimens and clean them unless they are poachers
also. There are still places near downtown Miami where the Hawks, Pinks
and Milks are still fairly plentiful and beautiful to study and if you
are really lucky you might find a fresh dead.  Michael