From:
"Watrous, Larry" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 17:39:04 -0500
Is anyone familiar with the current status of Gastrocopta tridentata
(Leonard)?

This species was described in 1946 from a single specimen from Russell Co.,
Kansas (lower Pleistocene).  It was originally placed in the genus
Columella, but moved to Gastrocopta by Pilsbry in 1948.  Pilsbry suggested
this might be a gigantic form of G. armifera.

This name is not included in the American Fisheries Society listing of
common names for Mollusks.  Is this because it is only known from fossil
material, or has it been synonymized with G. armifera (or something else)?

We think we found a couple examples of this interesting land snail from SW
Missouri.  Any insights on it's current status would be helpful.

Larry W.