Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 18:59:35 EST
Dear Paul

Perhaps the mystery unio is Cyrtonaias tampicoensis, the average adult size is 120mm and they are most commonly found with purple interiors.  This Tampico pearly mussel is highly sought for pearls.  On the Rio Grande where I live it is one only three mussel species that I still find from dozens that lived here before dams and pollution.