From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 18:55:57 +1200
The diagnosis of Microstelma comes from Bruce Marshall, malacologist
at the Museum of NZ. I informad Simon of this, and he now lists it as
Microstelma ?nsp.

It lacks any sort of distinct siphonal canal, having just a slight
upward curvature of the labrum, as do some cerithioids and rissoids,
but not conids; the umbilical position is wrong for conids also. The
sutural sinus agrees with both conids and Rissoidae.

Andrew

>It resembles some species of Conopleura, eg. C. striata Hinds, 1848, but
>that species has a more compressed shell and a narrower aperture.
>
>Smriglio et al.,  1999: Description of a new species of Conidae Fleming,
>1822 from the Mediterranean Sea. Bollettino Malacologico Italiano,
>34(1-4): 27-32.

Got the following rejection message when I tried to send this message
originally. Never seen a list with this restriction before!

The distribution  of your message dated  Sat, 15 Jun 2002  14:15:19 +1200 with
subject "Re: Identification Assistance..." has  been rejected because you have
exceeded the daily per-user message limit for the CONCH-L list. Other than the
list owner,  no one is allowed  to post more  than 5 messages per  day. Please
resend your message at  a later time if you still want it  to be posted to the
list.