From:
Kev Lamprell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 17:18:41 +1000
David the types of most of the species you refer to are available and
working on the excellent illustrations in Sowerby, Reeve, Roemer and others
it is difficult to find any characters separating velata (not veluta as you
spelt the name) Sowerby,1833 (Proc Zoo Soc.,1833) and lima Reeve,1844 (Proc
Zool Soc. 1844) from the illustration and description of foliata Forrskal,
1775 (Moerch p.40, 502), this species could also have an even earlier name,
Arca ovata Gmelin, 1791) according to Richardson, Abbott and Davis [in]
Tryonia 1.August 1979.
A. decussata Sowerby, 1833 is a name preoccupied by decussata Linnaeus, 1758
and appears to be a synonym of B. grayana (Dunker, 1858). Type photographs
of A. lima Reeve, B. velata Sowerby and B. decussata Sowerby are figured on
pages 47 of my recent book "Bivalves of Australia Volume 2".

Kevin Lamprell