From:
Allen Aigen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 15:32:06 GMT
Bob,
Triplofusus was from A. A. Olsson and A. Harbison, 1953, Pliocene Mollusca of Southern Florida... a standard reference for Florida fossil collectors.  Unfortunately names proposed for fossils are too often overlooked by people who think that work done on fossils doesn't affect the recent fauna.
Allen Aigen

---------- "Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]> writes:

Dear Bob,

The generic unit Triplofusus is based on Pleuroploca gigantea.  Splitters
consider Pleuroploca only to refer to Pleuroploca trapezium and a few other
(Indo-Pacic) species.  All these are in the Fasciolariidae.

I think we'll eventually use Triplofusus for the Florida Horseconch, but change
comes slowly.

Harry

At 06:31 AM 2/4/2003 , you wrote:

> In the December issue of American Conchlogist, page 8, Columellar folds - why
> are they there? by Rebecca M. Price, she uses Triplofusus. Triplofusus
> giganteus to be exact. On page 9 there is a photo of a horse conch with the
> Latin name T. giganteus (Kiener, 1840). My question is, what happened to
> Pleuroploca gigantea (Kiener, 1840). Where did Triplofusus come from (can't
> find it in A Classification Of The Living Mollusca), and what family is it
> assigned to?
>
> Bob Granda

Harry G. Lee
Suite 500
1801 Barrs St.
Jacksonville, FL 32204
USA
Voice: 904-384-6419
Fax: 904-388-6750
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
www.jaxshells.org

Allen Aigen