From:
Timothy Blackwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 17:04:24 -0800
Hello,

     I've been following the discussion concerning the topic of shelling in the Galapagos Islands.
 As has been confirmed in recent posts, I was aware that the islands are classified as a wildlife
sanctuary and that all animals, terrestrial and marine, are protected.  While I understand that
Galapagos shells may be re-circulated from old collections, I have to comment on a personal
observation and pose a question.  Over the past year or two, I've seen a fairly large number of
Cypraea (Pseudozonaria) nigropunctata specimens appear on eBay and dealer websites.  I've also
encountered examples of Cypraea (Pseudozonaria) arabicula, C. (Pseudozonaria) robertsi, and C.
(Macrocypraea) cervinetta from the Galapagos.  Especially with regard to C. nigropunctata, my
question is this: Are these the result of recent collecting, or simply left-overs from a hoard
stashed away years ago?  Also, has the species become rare in the Galapagos?  The Compendium
considered nigropunctata to be common, while Lorenz and Hubert list the species as rare.  I'd like
very much to acquire a nigropunctata, but am in no position to pay the large sums being asked for
recent specimens.  Does anyone have spare specimens? :)

Sincerely,
Tim Blackwood

Timothy J. Blackwood
E-mail: [log in to unmask]