From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:30:28 -0400
Karlynn,

That's a good point about the possibility of scallop fishermen dumping their catch before returning to port, especially if they were ranging all over the southeast. When I visited a dump in Snead's Ferry, I was told that the catch was from off Carrabelle, FL, in the panhandle. This was plausible despite the "long haul," given the fauna.

Meanwhile, the Cassis madagascariensis fragments are still evident. Some have said that these have eroded out of the dunes. I think that's somewhat more likely than that they rolled in from deeper water. I must say the color of the fragments looks pretty fresh. However, it would be really exciting for someone to find a live one in shallow water in NC and I wouldn't be completely surprised.

David