From:
"Renka, Russell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 2009 08:56:29 -0500
For Respondents with COA:  That's good advice on Harpa to use Eddie
Hardy's Thumbnails page (at
http://www.gastropods.com/Taxon_pages/TN_Family_HARPIDAE_HARPINAE.shtml)
.  But go to the Harpa articularis site at
http://www.gastropods.com/3/Shell_123.shtml, and you find that 1 of
those five (no. 4) is Harpa harpa.  Also no. 3 is probably Harpa major,
not Harpa articularis; it's hard to tell but look at that glaze on the
spire that differs from those two H. articularis above it and looks more
like H. major or H. davidus.

I assume these designations come from the originator of the ID and are
not changed.  Like others I deeply appreciate Eddie's work, but would
like to see editing of that (at least with no. 4, if not no. 3).  That
could be a worthy COA community job and less work for Eddie alone.

Russell Renka

Russell D. Renka
Professor of Political Science
Mail Stop 2920, Carnahan 211-L