From:
Wayne Harland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Oct 2009 20:57:27 -0400
Marlo,

I found this shell many times off Pompano Beach and Boca Raton.  In shallow
water (8-12') it was found in the exact habitat as P. sentis.  In fact, I
had instances where I found P. mildredae and P. sentis under the same rock.
In deeper water, P. mildredae was found less frequently, but the sculpture
on the rays was much more defined and larger.  P. sentis was not commonly
found in these deeper habitats (45-75').  We found more P. imbricata and,
rarely, P. multisquamata in this deeper habitat.  Additionally, I found P.
mildredae in this deeper habitat off Boca Raton, Boynton, and Palm Beach.
Always they were found in rubble areas on the reef that had current, tidal,
or wave surge to stimulate the water flow.  Mildredae, like sentis, is
highly variable in color, red/orange and purple being the most common,
followed by white, an orange/white "sunrise ray" pattern and lastly yellow.
I only found 1 yellow P. sentis -- never a yellow mildredae.

Hope this helps.

Wayne