From:
Fabio Moretzsohn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:17:00 -0500
Hi Carole and all

One easy way to insert diacritical marks, if one uses them often, is
to set your keyboard settings in Windows to one that has diacritics.
For example, since I write to family and friends in Portuguese, which
uses several diacritics, I use the United States-International
keyboard setting. That way, to create (insert) some diacritical marks
(in MS Word) is very easy:
ø (as in Mørch)= Ctrl and "/" (at the same time), followed by "o" (or "O" for Ø)
è (as in Bruguière) = the key with ~ followed by ` (left to numeral 1)
followed by "e"
ñ (as in España) = the key with ~ followed by "n"
ç (as in Curaçao) = ' (key  to the left of Enter) followed by "c"

To change your keyboard settings in Windows, go to Control Panel >
Regional and language Settings, then look for the tab "Languages" >
"details"; next, add the keyboard setting for United States
International, under "installed services". There probably are
international keyboard layouts for other languages and countries as
well. (I have done this several times before, but I cannot repeat it
in the computer I am using now, which has Windows XP, perhaps because
it already has the United States International keyboard installed?).

Alternatively, you can go to Word, Insert>Symbol, as you mentioned,
but then assign shortcut keys to the diacritical marks and symbols you
use most.

Good luck!

Fabio (usually spelled as Fábio in Brazil)

Fabio Moretzsohn, Ph.D.
Assistant Research Scientist
Harte Research Institute for Gulf of Mexico Studies
Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi
6300 Ocean Drive, Unit 5869, Corpus Christi, TX 78412-5869
Phone: (361) 825-3230; Fax: (361) 825-2050
mollusca [at] gmail.com
Please consider the environment before printing this email.  Think Green!