From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Feb 2012 08:02:07 -0500
Carole,

When I was working on The Mollusks: A Guide to their study, collection,
and preservation, I tried to get Bea Winner to write the chapter on
raising mollusks in an aquarium. While she declined the offer, she did
allow me to reprint as much or as little of her books that I wanted to
use. I modified one of them, added a bit of information, and that became
the chapter in the book.

You imply that Bea is no longer with us. In 2400 Years of Malacology her
birthday is listed but that is all. Has she passed away? If yes, does
anyone know ther date?

> I am not positive, but I think Paul Mikkelsen may have Bea's slides. I
> have
>  some of her extras but did not find anything that looked like your eggs.
>  Your saying Bea was a scientist is right on. Her profession was in  the
> medical field, I am not sure exactly what she did, but she was pretty
> meticulous about her experiments. She had dozens and dozens of small
> terrariums
> and aquariums going at any given time.
>  She was an inspiring woman. She had her own boat and a Captain's
> license,
> rode a motorcycle until she was in her 50's and took many people from  all
> parts of the country to various shelling beaches. I still miss her free
> spirit.
>         Carole
>

> In a message dated 2/24/2012 5:26:26 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> Thanks,  Tom
>
> Here are the full citations of this  anthology:
>
> Winner, B.E., 1985. A field guide to molluscan spawn.  Volume I. E. B. M.,
> North Palm Beach, FL. Pp. i-iv + 1-139 incl. numerous  pls.
> Winner, B.E., 1991. A field guide to molluscan spawn. Volume  II. E. B.
> M.,
> North Palm Beach, FL. Pp. i-vi + 1-94 incl. numerous  pls.
> Winner, B.E., 1993. Lifestyles of the seashells. E. B. M.,  North Palm
> Beach, FL. Pp. 1-61 incl. numerous figs.
> Winner, B.E., 1999.  The sexual behavior of mollusks land-freshwater-sea.
> E. B. M., North  Palm Beach, FL. Pp. i-v + 1-123 incl. numerous figs.
>
> Of the  species nominated as José and Amy's mystery egg-capsule producers,
> all three  are treated in Winner (1991):
> Urosalpinx perrugata (Conrad, 1846):  Winner (1991: 19-20)
> Eupleura sulcidentata Dall, 1890: Winner (1991:  21-22)
> Hesperisternia multangula (Philippi, 1848): Winner (1991:  25-28),
> and the last looks the most likely.
>
> Bea Winner was a true  citizen scientist; we owe her plenty.
>
> Harry
>

> On 2/23/2012  9:54 PM, Tom Rice wrote:
> Beatrice E. Winner self-published a set of four small volumes  regarding
> molluscs:
>
> A Field Guide to Molluscan Spawn, Volume 1,  1985, 140pp
> A Field Guide to Molluscan Spawn, Volume II, 1991,  94pp
> Life Styles of the Seashells, 1993, 60pp
> The Sexual Behavior of  Mollusks, 1999, 124pp
>
> The first two volumes contain numerous black  and white photos
> og egg capsules and the mollysks that produced  them.
>
> Tom Rice
> Rawai Beach, Phuket, Thailand
>

> --
>
> Harry G. Lee MD
>
> 4132 Ortega Forest Drive
>
> Jacksonville, FL 32210-5813
>
> USA
>
> (904) 389 4049
>
> [log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])
>
> [log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm

Treasure
American Malacological Society

Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Associate Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine