From:
Douglas Stemke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 2016 21:32:55 -0500
Hello all.

Two years ago I got an opportunity to travel extensively on my sabbatical across Australia including a lot of beach collecting of shells in Tasmania.  Simon Glove has an absolute fantastic web page detailing the shells of Tasmania and it has been very helpful to identify I lot of what I found (search "Tasmanian Seashells to find the page). One shell that I am trying to determine the proper name of is the above species.  I found several Cypraea (Notocypraea) angustata and what appears to be  a couple Cypraea (Notocypraea) subcarnea on the east coast of Tasi.   My best Cypraea reference (Guide to Worldwide Cowries,2nd ED) suggests C. subcarnea to be a form or variation of C. angustata however I found the shells right next to each other on the beach and they do seem to be fairly distinct.  Glove seems to consider them separate species, Lorenz and Hubert say they are the same.  Can anyone shed any light onto the proper taxonomy?

Thanks.

Doug