From:
Don Barclay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 18:05:44 -1100
Hi Nora,

I've been through the same thing with identifying shells, as
have most of us, I'm sure.  The strombid notch wasn't really
obvious, and I spent a long time trying to figure out what the
"fossula" was on a cowry.  The books I had all mentioned it,
and one even had a diagram pointing to the area, but none
really told WHAT it was.  The differences in turbans and trochids
may not be that obvious either, as a couple of species are very
close, but the differences in these are somewhat more obvious
if you are the one collecting them.  The turbans all have hard,
pebble-like operc's made of shell material, while the trochids
have thin, flexible, translucent brown discs for operc's.  This is
a fairly easy one, but as you look at more and more families,
the questions may get a bit more difficult to answer.  As Paul
says, the information is out there, but most of us don't have the
extensive library required for finding much of it.  And in my case,
I sometimes have the information in my books, but have to sort
through them to find what I'm looking for.  Other cases aren't so
easy, like "How do you tell a latiaxis from a murex..?" or "What's
the difference between a cypraeid and an ovulid?".  These are
ALMOST beginner-level questions, but answering them would
require reading the description of the genus (or subgenus, or
family) as laid out by the person who originally named it.  Or
asking on Conch-L, of course!

Cheers,

Don