From:
Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 20:30:02 -0800
Ross,
        A few weeks ago I sent a Monadenia fidelis from Humboldt Co.,
California to Los Angeles.  I sent it packages in Redwood needles (damp)
and now my friend has those and the same species that she brought from
Washington.  Mine I keep in a terrarium (or a plastic bottle with plastic
mesh wind screening taped to one side) and they have lived for quite a
while.  When they don't get enough water, they just curl up inside, seal
off the aperture and hibernate... until I put in new wet dead foliage.  My
friend in S. California, feed hers lettuce and they're doing fine.
        Let me know if your friend's daughter would like a couple Monadenia
fidelis.  They're beautiful.  There's a photo in Abbott's Compendium of
landsnails.
Dan

>I have received a request from a parent who wants to replace his
>daughter's tree-snail, which died recently (and is missed!!).  They live
>in Massachussets, so at this time of year, they can't just go out to the
>garden!!  Can anyone help out in this matter (i would trade for them)?
>They should be a "reasonable" size for a small child to enjoy.
>-Ross of the Neglected Micros (and Micro postings!!)
>
>P.S.: How does one ship tree-snails anyway?  How long could they live
>without water?

Dan & Hiromi Yoshimoto
1164 Vista Dr.
Eureka, California