From:
"Mancini, Jason R" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 15:00:58 -0500
My name is Jason Mancini.  I am the Staff Archaeologist at the Mashantucket
Pequot Museum and Research Center in Connecticut.  I have come across some
information regarding a human burial from Fisher's Island (located
immediately south of eastern Connecticut and within Long Island Sound).
Among the items interred with this individual are '19 Natica shell beads.'
I am not familiar with this genera and do not believe it is indigenous to
this region.  Does anyone on the list know the distribution and range of
this genera? Is anyone familiar with a particular species being used for
beads among ANY culture in the world?  Thank you for any insight you may
have.

Jason R. Mancini, Staff Archaeologist
Mashantucket Pequot Museum & Research Center
110 Pequot Trail, Mashantucket, CT 06339-3180
tel. 860.396.6802  fax  860.396.6914