From:
Ellen Bulger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 11:54:52 EST
The Bahamas are great, but for shelling,skip Nassau. If you are willing to
"shell" out a bit more for airfare, fly into Nassau, then go to one of the
out islands. Safe, clean, friendly & unspoiled.

Many shellers swear by Eleuthera. I've had great luck beachcombing on
Stocking island on Exuma. Stay at Peace & Plenty or Coconut Cove. (And the
shallow-water snorkeling is outrageous; great species diversity!)

I have also had good luck on Long Island. Come to think of it, the Stella
Maris resort will come collect you from Nassau. They're nice folks and it's a
great deal. If you go to Long Island, visit Denis & Marina Knight at Wild
Tamarind Pottery. Ask to see their shell collection. Cool pottery too. I
bought a stoneware limpet sculpture done with some kind of salt glaze. It's
nifty.

The Bahamas Ministry of Tourism's People to People program could probably
hook you up with more shell folks on other out islands.

i LOVE the Bahamas.

Have great trip, wherever!

Ellen