From:
Lindsey Groves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 08:45:16 -0800
To all Conch-L members:

        We have experienced the same woes with the Conchological Club of
Southern California and there seems little we can do to reverse the trend
despite herculean efforts by several noteworthy members.  Two of those
noteworthy members, Danny and Hiromi Yoshimoto, who recently escaped the rat
race of LA to relax in Humboldt Co. (and a new shell club sprang-up, go
figure), always put forth a marvelous effort to stimulate not only the CCSC
but the Pacific Shell Club as well.  Their departure unfortunately put a
damper on the CCSC as far as problem solving goes.  We need more Danny &
Hiromi Yoshimotos!
        Too many times the proverbial "deaf ear" appears when volunteers are
requested and THAT gets very old very fast.  An honoary CCSC member once
remarked "The more you do the less others will do."  How aching true!  Many
of the annecdotes posted recently regarding shell club low lights can be
summed up in a classic piece by Art Weil "How to destroy a shell club"
Hawaiian Shell News 36(3):11 [June, 1988]. Happy reading.

Aloha,

Lindsey

Lindsey T. Groves
Collection Manager Malacology/Invert. Paleo.
900 Exposition Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90007
Voice: (213) 763-3376 (Mal) 744-3485 (IP)
Fax: (213) 746-2999/7646
e-Mail: [log in to unmask]