From:
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 18:11:08 -0700
Hey Folks,

Here's hoping some of you can help me a bit here.  I just got some questions
that are a bit out of my range of interests.  This person wants to know:

"1. If you kick a scallop will it retailate by spitting at you?
2. What is the scarlet frilly edged sponge that can encrust oysters and
clams called?
3. When do oysters set, spring or summer?
4. Do Bay scallops reach maturity only in October?"

1.  Okay, I have question number one answered, no problem.  I understand
about a scallops jetting out water to get away or even as a defensive
response of shutting the valves.

2.  I haven't a clue about any scarlet, frilly edged sponge on oysters and
scallops.  How about some of you from the coast?

3.  I assume the question refers to east coast US oysters.

4.  I personally thought most scallops took a couple of years to reach
maturity, so am I missing something on "bay scallops" (Argopecten
irradians)?  I realize the answer cannot be "October" as the species ranges
from far north of the east coast of the US to South America.  So it would
seem maturity would vary.

Like I said, "Help!"  Any offerings gratefully accepted.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico (loosing more hair as we speak)