From:
"Jose H. Leal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 09:06:22 -0500
At 09:12 PM 1/31/00 -0800, you wrote:
>Dear all,
>Just a quick question, but what, or who,
>is Natica monodi Marche-Marchad, 1957,
>named after? Can anyone help?
>
>Thanks,
>James

James,

Marche-Marchad did not mention whom he was naming the species after, but it
is very likely that it was a tribute to Jacques Monod, influential French
zoologist and author (and, if I am guessing right, director of the Museum
national d'Histoire naturelle (Paris, France) at the time of the species
description).

The type locality of N. monodi is 14 degrees 27' N, 17 degrees 33' W, south
of the Cape Verde Islands at 170-200 m depth. The reference is:

Marche-Marchad, I. 1957. Description de cinq gastropodes marins noveaux de
la cote occidentale d'Afrique [Description of five new marine gastropods
from the western coast of Africa]. Bulletin du Museum national d'Historire
naturelle, 2e. serie, t. 29, no. 2, pp. 200-205, 1 plate.

Salut,

Jose
José H. Leal, Ph.D.
Director, The Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum
Editor-in-chief, THE NAUTILUS
http://www.uwp.edu/academic/biology/bmsm/bm_shell.htm
3075 Sanibel-Captiva Road
Sanibel, FL 33957 USA