From:
Rick Harbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 18:54:15 -0800
There is an excellent reference "Stone, bone, antler and shell. Artifacts of
the Northwest Coast" 1996. Hilary Stewart. Douglas &McInyre
Vancouver/Toronto. University of Washington Press. 140 pp.

There is also a website of the Santa Barbara Museum of natural History that
has a discussion of the Chumash Indians of California who made shell beads
from the purple olive (Olivella)used as currency. Chumash translates to
"bead money makers". See http://www.sbnature.org/chamash/daily.htm

Cheers
Rick Harbo
Nanaimo, B.C.