From:
"Kim C. Hutsell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 12:21:01 -0800
Paul, Tom, and Jingtao,

The last issue of Wagner & Abbott (published in 1990) listed Cypraea
(Lyncina) argus at an unbelieveable 163.0 mm (G. Ernst).  However, when the
Registry of World Record Size Shells received Wagner & Abbott's files, there
was no supporting documentation that anyone had actually varified the size
other than Tucker's initials being on the card in someone else's
handwriting. Nor was there any indication of where the specimen might be
found for examination. Consequently, the listing was dropped from the
Registry until the specimen could be located.  As yet, no one has come
forward with any information.

Likewise, the listing for Cypraea tigris at 152.9mm (G. Kawelo) in the same
publication was omitted from the Registry because Hawaii was cited as the
location.  This indicated to us that the specimen listed was actually C.
tigris schilderiana. Thus, no record size for C. tigris is currently listed
in the Registry. It will remain this way until we receive an entry for a
specimen from some location other than Hawaii.

Cypraea cervus is currently listed in the Registry at 190.5mm, H. Achtor.
The Achtor collection was purchased by Don Pisor in the mid 1990's but this
specimen was not in the collection and its present whereabouts is unknown.

As evidenced above, we cannot stress enough the importance of traceable
documentation when submitting records for publication. This is also the
resaon the Registry will not accept any submission without documented
varification.

In future issues of the Registry, dubious listings will not simply be
dropped from the Registry.  Rather, they will be appended to a section in
the back of the book along with the reason for removal from the list until
such time that evidence can be found to make a final determination. The next
issue, by the way, is due out in July 2001.

Best regards,
Kim Hutsell