Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 10:48:33 -0800
Tom, well put first of all,

Second:
I am sorry to keep this thread alive, but I must respond to the list on
this. After reading all of the replies on this subject, it seems to me that
it is ok to post some (commercial) things, but not others.  To the
academically inclined, it seems ok to post items related to new books
(commercial advertising), but not related to shell collecting trips.  I take
exception to this line.  I personally AM interested in this subject as well,
which is one of the reasons I subscribe to the list in the first place-so I
can be provided with, and subjected to, as much shell related data as
possible. Having a short message with a link to a site with shell trips (or
other items of interest) is welcome. As welcome as a message that has a link
to someone's museum site in their address line (Commercial advertising, none
the less) the note saves me time, and I need that.

While I certainly do not want to be inundated with spam advertising, there
has been no objection in the past to postings (from commercial vendors) that
say "check out my new site" or similar.  Where do we draw the line?  Who
gets to draw it?  If some people get to advertise written material, then
others should be able to plug their site as well.

We need to be responsible adults who can choose to read, consume, or discard
the messages we find. I don't read every piece of mail either. And I am not
insulted by messages that of no interest. I came here because of my love for
shells and shell collecting.

Period.

Feel free to contact me at the address below

James I. Movich
Long Beach, CA