From:
Gary Rosenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 16:36:34 -0500
>>> Linda Bush <[log in to unmask]> 03/02/00 03:03PM >>>

>If the type species of a genus was listed as a junior synonym, the correct >name for the species is still the senior synonym, right?

There are two interpretations of this question "What is the type species?" and "What is the valid name for the type species?" and they have different answers.  The type species is the junior synonym; the valid name of the type species is the senior synonym. It is important to maintain this distinction, because synonymies are not always correct. This is why the ICZN, Recommendation 67B says "The name of a type species should be cited by its original binomen. If the name of the type species is, or is currently treated as, an invalid name, authors may also site its valid synonym."

For example, the type species of the genus Truncatella is Truncatella costulata Risso, 1826, a junior synonym of Truncatella subcylindrica (Linnaeus, 1767).  Now let's suppose someone rummages around in the royal collection in Sweden and finds a type specimen of Linnaeus' species and says--guess what folks, it's actually a specimen of Cionella lubrica. If you thought that the type species of Truncatella was Truncatella subcylindrica, you'd conclude that Truncatella was a synonym of Cionella, and that what had been called Truncatella needed a new name, but the correct inference would be that Truncatella costulata is not a synonym of Truncatella subcylindrica. (Remember this is a hypothetical example using names of real mollusks; sorry I couldn't think of a more familiar example to use).

Gary

Gary Rosenberg, Ph.D.                  [log in to unmask]
Academy of Natural Sciences            http://www.acnatsci.org
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway         Phone 215-299-1033
Philadelphia, PA 19103-1195 USA        Fax   215-299-1170