From:
Peter Egerton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 17:26:58 -0800
Hey James,

A friend of mine who used to raise Achatinas said he gave his snails
calcium by just putting a piece of chalk in the terrarium. Just plain
old chalk like they use in school. Color didn't seem to hurt them either,
eccept thier feces would be colored.

Cheers,
Peter Egerton,
Vancouver, BC

At 07:59 PM 3/29/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Wow! So many kind responses! About the size of the juvenile
>C. lubrica; I was real tired last night, and I just made a crude (and
>totally
>inaccurate) estimate. They are really about 3mm. I will try some various
>greens, but, like Kurt said, they might feed on microalgae. It would be
>interesting
>to find out their diet. I have plenty of eggshells, and I will just put
>them in the blender
>and set it on "liquify" to make powder. That thing about lubrica living
>in leaf-filled gutters
>is neat; I saw a few VERY TINY (1mm) specimens on the undersides of dead
>leaves the
>other day; the leaf could be like a sail, and be blown up on the roof
>with the snails on it.
>Anyway, I give my thanks for the help you all provided; I will keep
>everyone updated on the
>snails' progress.
>
>Kind Regards,
>James

Peter Egerton, Vancouver, Canada
Collector of worldwide Mollusca,
student of zoology and computers for life.
Step into my website:
http://www.intergate.bc.ca/personal/seashell/index.html