From:
Karen Lamberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 18:18:05 -0400
Haven't been to Honduras yet, but Belize has great shells and fantastic
shallow water reefs. If you get to Ambergris Caye, make sure NOT  to collect
in the Marine preserve as Hol Chan, otherwise you should be ok. FYI in that
part of the world, there is are many locals interested in conservation, etc.
I have occasionally been challenged- all gastropods may be labeled as
"conch". I carry a copy of the paperback Seashells of North America by
Abbott & Sandstrom (Golden Press). For some reason, everybody seems able to
recognize the illustrations in that book easier than even good photos in
other books, and the "trick" is to show whomever challenges you that you
know a conch from a clam or whatever. Several times I have turned an
adversarial position into one where the challenger ended up being my "guide"
because he wanted to learn! Just put the book in a baggie in your beach bag
and forget about it unless you need it! And it's not a bad ID guide either
for that region!  Enjoy Belize, one of the friendliest countries I have
traveled in, it could be my second home! If you tell me where your boat will
come in (Belize City?) and for how long, perhaps I can be alittle more
specific.