From:
Peter Egerton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 17:07:46 -0700
When I was in university, collecting in the field we used waterproof paper
and pencil for all our labels as well as notebooks. It works very well
and can even be submersed in water without ruining the label. I don't know
where you can get it...ours came from the biological supply room at the
field station.

Peter Egerton,
Vancouver, Canada

At 08:13 PM 4/7/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello,
>Hopefully a simple question to answer.  When collecting in the field I
>place shells in zip lock bags pending cleaning, and use a 'permanent
>marker' to annotate location number.  These numbers on the bags often
>faded, so I used the same marker to note the number on a slip of paper
>and put that into a small ziplok bag and insert into the larger bag.
>Often any moisture getting into the small bags also faded those
>numbers.  I know museums have written labels that are always in liquid
>in their 'wet' collections.  What kind of marker, what kind of paper
>(that you can easily obtain and is easy to use in the field)?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Alan Gettleman
>Merritt Island, FL

Peter Egerton, Vancouver, Canada
Collector of worldwide Mollusca,
student of zoology and computers for life.
Step into my website:
http://www.intergate.bc.ca/personal/seashell/index.html