From:
Helmut Nisters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 01:59:00 -0400
In Europe we have also redbrown, sometimes deep redorange Cepaea nemoralis without
band.
with best regards
Helmut from Innsbruck

Helmut "Helix" Nisters
Franz-Fischer-Str. 46
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Innsbruck
phone and fax: 0043 / 512 / 57 32 14
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
web:    www.netwing.at/nisters/
           (please visit it and sign guestbook)

office:
Natural History Department of the
Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum Innsbruck
Feldstrasse 11 a
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone: 0043 / 512 / 58 72 86 - 37

----------
Dear Conch-Lers,

This past week I was visiting family in North Vancouver, BC  (Canada)
and was quite surprised by the numerous colonies of Cepea nemoralis in
parks, gardens, etc.  The shells are rather varied in color and banding
including a color form with a bright orange base color.  I'm left with
some questions that I hope can be answered here:

Does anyone know when this snail first showed up on the West Coast?

How wide of a distribution does it have?

Does an orange color form (both banded and unbanded) turn up elsewhere?

Thanks in advance,

Phil Liff-Grieff
La Crescenta, California