From:
Joni Inkwindi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 20:46:34 EDT
I understand that these snails have been here and not done much damage
previously, but the cause for my concern is that they weren't being sold at
Sears Gardentown until now.  And, being touted by the local newspaper garden
editor as the be-all and end-all cure for that pesky snail problem.  I had
never even heard of decollate snails until reading the postings on this list
- heck, if I hadn't learned of the damage they can do to existing land snail
populations from this list, I'd have a bunch in my garden right now(darn
those native heliconia-eating slimers)!  Actually, my best remedy for snail
control right now is to just throw them in my neighbor's yard ;)...
I'm just concerned that this voracious species now available in your local
neighborhood garden shop - and that has never before been quite as available
and handy to Mr.and Ms.Doe, might just dominate and eventually wipe out our
true native species.  In south Florida we've seen the invasion of Melaleuca,
Brazilian Pepper, and countless "well-intentioned" exotic species - I just
hope this is not another "well-intentioned" mistake.
Just my .02...
Joni