From:
BARBARA AIGE AIGEN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jul 2000 12:30:11 -0400
I suppose that the best way to bring to the public's attention the great
number of variations of so many lineages is to use sp. A, sp. B and sp.
cf oldname, and then do the detailed work necessary on one of these
lineages.  But just like professionals don't want to do the work on an
already named fauna, Petuch apparently wanted credit for discovering all
these neat new forms.  Of course the blame for doing inadequate work is
his too.  The non-professionals, looking for handles to sort their many,
varied shells, appreciate the many new names.  When they find that a
mistake has been made, they should try to document the fact, and help
future workers who get stuck with the mess have an easier time.  Us
non-professionals can make  important contributions while avoiding the
problem of naming new species inadequately.

 I am currently trying to get a paper on a Sinistrofulger species of
Petuch published (in COA) clarifying the nature of the species.  The
article explains Petuch's systematics and stratigraphy and better
describes the species, but does not come to any hard systematic
conclusions.  Writing is hard work, but if it gets in print, it should be
worth it.

Perhaps other people will be willing to make similar contributions, and
help collectors and professionals alike.

Allen Aigen (I'm the accidentally anonymous author of the E-mail on
Petuch's Plio-Pleistocene work.)