From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 17:27:16 -0600
Peter
If you found it in a pond, then I think it is probably an introduced species
that came with some of the plants, BUT here is what da book says regarding
our Canadian species...
FAMILY Acroloxidae, Primitive Freshwater Limpets, familiy is predominantly
Eurasian (like where a lot of tropical lilies come from) but we have
Acroloxus coloradensis which is rare, characteristic of rocky exposed places
known only from a few locales in the Rockies and in a couple of lakes in
Quebec and Ontario and has a distinctive spine-like apex (curls backward).
I doubt this would be what you have.
There is also...
FAMILY Lancidae, Limpet-like Lymnaeas,  Lanx nuttalli, the Greater Columbia
River Limpet, in Canada may be found (only discovered from empty shells),
only in the Columbia River and its tributaries.  It seems to require
swift-flowing water, feeding on diatom-covered rocks.  So it probably isn't
that either.
From your description it is an imported specimen, possibly from the
Acroloxidae family since the apices are always located posteriorly and to
the left of the midline which it sounds like yours might be.
Good luck IDing it!
Nora