From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 01:13:43 +0000
One of the disadvantages of getting the "digest" version once a day, is that you
end up asking questions that have already been answered, since you haven't
recieved them yet!// So, thanks Bill - this clears things up nicely, and sorry
to have wasted the list's time on an unnessessary post: i should have just
waited a couple of hours more!

-ross.

Bill Fenzan wrote:

Dear Ross & Paul,

The article you need to understand the confusion between Conus cancellatus
Hwass in Brugiere, 1792  (the white Caribbean species often called C.
austini or C. atractus austini) and Conus pagodus Kiener, 1845 (the white
Indo-Pacific species often called C. cancellatus) is titled:
"Conus cancellatus Hwass, 1792: A Species From The W. Atlantic" by Dieter
Röckel and Danker Vink.  It is in Hawaiian Shell News, Vol. XXX, No. 2,
February 1982 (New Series 266), p. 5.  I don't have the time right now to
type in the whole article.  The bottom line is that Lovell Reeve made a
mistake in the mid-nineteenth century and subsequent authors followed his
lead.  Walls did not discover the error, so it got re-enforced in the most
recent complete monograph of the family.

Warm regards,

Bill

William J. Fenzan
401 Sinclair St.