Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 13:24:37 -0400
I believe that the relocation of the adductors takes place simply by growth.  New muscle fibers would grow predominantly towards the growing edges of the shell.  The shell area underlying the muscle is a distinctive structure known as myostracum.  Even in otherwise entirely calcitic bivalves, this is aragonite.  It does not detach the muscle and reattach it, as the trace of the myostracum inside the shell is continuous.  I do not know biochemical details of the attachment, however.

Dr. David Campbell
    "Old Seashells"

    NEW ADDRESS AS OF 8/21/00
    Biology Department
    Saint Mary's College of Maryland
    18952 E. Fisher Road
    St. Mary's City, MD  20686-3001 USA
    [log in to unmask], 301 862-0372 Fax: 301 862-0996

    "He had discovered an unknown bivalve, forming a new genus"-E. A. Poe, The Gold Bug