From:
"William M. Frank" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 12:28:56 -0400
According to "The Queen Conch" by Orr and Berg, Strombus gigas reaches
sexual maturity at about three and a half years of age. The life span of the
species is estimated to be six or seven years.  Of course, habitat and
water temperature certainly have an influence on the life span, and, those
in colder waters probably live longer.  The age of the species is best
determined by the development of the lip.

Bill Frank
1865 Debutante Dr.
Jacksonville, FL 32246-8645
~~~~~~~~~
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/~wfrank/jacksonv.htm