From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 15:00:30 -0600
This is great information and I'm glad to learn it even though I wasn't the person who origianlly asked.
I have one possible suggestion to the following:

"Snails that resorb innner layers of the shell can easily be made into beads by grinding off the apex.  This is not a very useful approach for a predator, so olives, cones, etc. missing the tip are probably human modification".

Could also be beachworn shells - I always try and find nice beach olivellas but they are mostly missingtheir apex (grrr!)