From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 01:43:36 +0000
David;
        I've been beating the drum on deep-water coral ecosystems for years - so
everyone who has been around for a while is at least somewhat aware of them.  It
is not a "hot topic", however, perhaps because almost no sediment samples have
been collected from deep coral habitats anywhere in the world, so the associated
molluscan fauna, which may be quite exotic, is almost completely unknown: in the
next 10 years, it is likely that dozens and scores of new molluscs will be
described from these fantasic places - ie, the fragments of them that manage to
survive!!  One pass of a trawler can destroy thousands of years of growth, and
at the rate this is occuring, it is probable that only a small remnant will survive.

        Only longlining - lines with many hooks- is relatively non-destructive as well
as economically viable in this type of habitat.

        All over the planet, dragging and dredging are disturbing and destroying seabed
habitats - even in areas where there is massive tidal disturbance or turbulence
due to frequent storms, vital yet vulnerable componants of ecosystems - such as
depressions where silt and organic matter accumulate (making them highly
productive, with a high degree of biodiversity), are being wiped out by mobile
gear used for fish dragging which often weighs many tons: it simply flattens the
undersea landscape, reducing varied, diverse landscapes to flat, barren
wastelands (this has been filmed on the US side of George's Bank - it is a
fact.).  The sea certainly is large, but the sheer size of the world's fishing
fleets is quite amazing, and almost no corner of the globe is untouched: the
situation is really quite dire, but the public just doesn't seem to rally around
the notion of protecting things they can't see, except in fairy-tale-like Jaques
Cousteau films and such, which rarely show the huge areas of devastation,
instead focusing on the ever-dwindling patches of intact benthic habitat.

        The COA has a general outlook, and actively promotes conservation, especially
during collecting activities, but so far as i know, seldom takes stands on
specific issues such as destructive fishing methods.

        My personal views are apparent by now, but i think that ALL conchologists have
a duty to protect and preserve the sea and all life in it: we derive pleasure
from the products of the ocean, so we should in turn be actively doing our best
to fight greed, apathy, tradition and ignorance regarding the exploitation of
the world's oceans - otherwise we are just taking without giving back.

-Ross Mayhew.