From:
Frank Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 20:20:37 EDT
Helmut,

I think we all forget the reason why we collect shells, from time to time. At
least the reason why I think most people collect shells. That is because it
pleases us. As long as you friend is happy with the purchase, as a friend you
should leave well enough alone. What difference does it matter as long as
your friend is happy and can afford the purchase?

Should we keep shells that don't please us, just because they are a "Good
deal?"

I once asked a man who had overpaid for a shell, "Why did you pay that much?
I could have got the same shell for you for less." His reply was, but I like
this shell and it makes me happy. By the way, he could afford the higher
price.

Sometimes, I think we let the price card thing distort the fact that we are
dealing with a hobby here and not some commodity like pork bellies. Sometimes
we need to stop, smell the roses, count our blessing and remember the real
reason we decided to get into this wonderful hobby that allows so many
different types of people from many different economic backgrounds the
opportunity to enjoy the beauty of the lands and seas (including fresh water).

Frank (Waiting for results from doctor) in Massachusetts