From:
Timothy Blackwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 07:24:48 -0800
Hello everyone,

     My name is Tim Blackwood and I am from Grand Rapids, Minnesota.  I am currently conducting
research on Lambis crocata pilsbryi Abbott, 1961.  Why the interest?  Pilsbryi-like specimens have
been reported from Zanzibar and Sri Lanka, and I would like to do a review of the relevant
literature to bring myself up to speed and provide background on the specimens from the Marquesas
Islands.  I have done literature searches though the Online Computer Library Center (OCLC) and
Ross Mayhew has done some searching in Zoological Record.  So far, we have come up empty handed.
The literature on pilsbryi seems to be quite sparse.  I do have a copy of Abbott's original
description coutesy of Henk Mienis.  Here's where you can help.  I am looking for complete
citations to any and all articles on Lambis crocata crocata Link, 1807, and Lambis crocata
pilsbryi Abbott, 1961.  I can submit the citations to the interlibrary loan service at our local
community college library.  Perhaps they can locate them.  I am also interested in any personal
observations that have been made on pilsbryi.  In particular, I am interested in details of the
soft anatomy (color, radula, etc.) and operculum.  Also, I am interested in learning if pilsbryi
has been found in other parts of the Marquesas besides the type locality at Nuku Hiva Island.
Additional habitat information would also be of great interest and value to my work.  Any
information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
     Well, I will sign off for now.  I hope this message finds you all happy, healthy, and well
this holiday season.  So, until next time...Take care and I will eagerly await your replies.  Bye
for now.  :)

Sincerely,
Tim Blackwood

=====