From:
Art Weil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 14:49:20 -0500
Dear Phil;-
        Since I grew up in San Francisco, I can offer some small bit of advice
and observation.
        One used to be able to pick up a few things at the little beach on SF
bay at the foot of Van Ness avenue. But the bay is so poluted now, you can
forget that. ---except that the Girardelli Chocolate factory is nearby.
        The Ocean beach is out because the surf is always rough coming in from
the Pacific. Any shell material is pretty well ground up before coming to rest.

        One ray of hope: If you are renting a car---go to Muir woods, a
preserved Redwood forest in Marin County. Then ask people there how to get to
Point Reyes---which is a National Seashore. There is a fine protected bay there
and I have seen many limpets, chitons, and other shells there. It's worth the
drive.
        I don't know of anyone on the list who lives in San Francisco but it is
a city where you can't help but have an enjoyable time. If you want a list of
things to see, just ask.
        Art