From:
Geoff Macaulay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 14:17:42 +1100
Joe
this can be pretty hard to determine as some of the filers are real experts.
Sometimes if you look closely or with a hand lens you can see the file marks
on the lip.
Another sign is to look closely at the body whorl immedialy adjacent to
where the lip joins to see if there is a residual bit of lip as this seems
much more difficult to file off.
If you know a little about general shape within a genus or family you may
also see that the shape is not quite right. Cones are a good example as the
siphonal notch near the shoulder is often filed right away
Regards
Geoff