From:
Karen Lamberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2001 15:23:56 -0500
You are correct in your assumptions. About 15 years ago, the US government,
the oil/ gas companies and the State of Nevada (I think this is the right
state) started looking for the reason that there was an increase in small
local seismic tremors. What they found was that  as the companies pumped out
natural gas, which had been stored between low level limestone strata, if
the gas was removed to an extent, which could be predicted by a mathmatical
equasion (I don't have it, just read about it), then the layers of rock
either collapsed in on themselves because of the weight of the overlying
earth, or tremors occurred as the rock layers tried to ease the strain. And
the situation was totally reversible if gas or water was pumped back in.
However, the caveat is that if the choice was for water, it had to be
replaced to a higher than natural pressure or else it acted as a lubricant
for movement. As usual we ruin whatever we touch! (And for shell content,
God bless the snail caught between those layers!)