From:
Bobbi Cordy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 23:06:30 -0500
We go into many classrooms every year to teach about shells.  There is VERY
little in the science textbooks about  shells.   AND yet it is the second
largest animal kingdom after insects???

The teachers really get excited about this subject....especially since it is
locally something the children should learn about!    We often bring the classes
into our shell room for shell talk and hands on!  We always have shells for the
children to take with them or supply their classroom with a variety of examples
of different families.

We have stacks of "adorable" letters from the children thanking us for doing
this!

It certainly is a highlight of being able to share that knowledge with children
of all ages.

We started a Junior Club in our Shell Club and it did well with about 6 children
each meeting.  But the children soon got involved in sports and other stuff in
school and didn't have time for it.   We will start it up again when we have
some more children who are interested!

Bobbi