From:
Bobbi Cordy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 14:25:56 -0400
Sue Christensen wrote:

>      I agree, Mark. I always think of shells by their common names. When
>      people on the list refer to the latin names I get lost. Mention a
>      cone, scallop, or murex and I know just what you're talking about.
>      Maybe we could all agree to use both common and latin names.
>      Sue in Denver

> Subject: common names , we need them.
> Author:  Conchologists of America List <[log in to unmask]> at INET
> Date:    4/28/98 9:41 PM
>
> Common shell names, Might we remember that common names serve many purposes.
> When we started out on this folly many of us learned about shells from their
> common names, lettered cone, the name fits as it does look like Chinese
> writing. Common names also help by giving easy names to shells so beginners
> can easily identify them . how many times have you stood there on the beach
> and someone asks what is that in your hand . if you use a Latin name they
> look at you as if your some biologist and they lose interest. but by using a
> common name you can see how they associate and maybe at that point we have
> recruited yet one more into the army of shelters. i believe that if it take
> using common names to get beginners interested then so be it. When trying to
> find common names for shells it help to convert the Latin to English ,
> conus magus - magic cone,
> mark

Common names are fine for children and beginners...but in order to trade
shells with people all over the world...that would never work.

Even here in Florida...the common coquina is called by many a
periwinkle.  So it gets very confusing too....like the latin names are
confusing...especially trying to keep up with all the changes of names.
--
Jim & Bobbi Cordy
Specializing in Self-Collected