From:
Alfonso Pina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 18:51:17 -0500
Hello everybody,
I've noticed during my hard last months learning on Molluscs that many of
their Latin names are not correct from a grammatical point of view.
Specially, I have found a lot of gender disagrees, (well, maybe this is
more evident to Romance languages speakers than to English speakers) and I
don't know the criteria of ICZN about this. So the question is: Can I use
the correct Latin name and so change, let's say "Mitra tuberosum" to "Mitra
tuberosa" wherever I found it -at my own risk- or may I respect any
nomenclatural convention above grammatical correction?
Incidentally, I will comment to you that botanist seems not to have this
trouble: in Latin all plants are feminine!
Best regards,

Alfonso Pina
Malaga
Spain