Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 18:09:57 +0100
Dear Henk,
biologically I don't also see any connection with neigh to the
Hinnites-specimens. But I think, this is a visual comparison. It is always
difficult to re-create and recognize like an old author the shells once
looked and has seen.
I have there also my problems. With the name by LAMARCK 1799 Isocardia (gr.
"isos" = same, "xardía" = heart) it fell me easily to recognize a visual
relationship. With the current name Glossus POLI 1795 (gr. "glossa" =
tongue, speech, language) for the same genus I must already strain myself.
And with Hinnites, it goes me like you, I have difficulties. - Where is the
inspiration?
In the end I think, DEFRANCE, the author of the name Hinnites, doesn't has
looked the mussel in an evening and after a few glasses of wine from above
but once from the front with gaze on the half-opened area around the mouth,
and because the two flaps exceptionally were wide-set, he has not believed
to recognize the laughing mouth of a beautiful girl but the snout of a
neighing nag. Let's drink a bottle Genever once, then we maybe also do see
that so. And after a second bottle we maybe do hear also this "edere (=
burst out) hinnitus" (MAXENTIUS) or "canoros ( = melodious) hinnitus"
(OVID), about what DEFRANCE maybe has dreamed.
Momentarily, I don't have any Hinnites distortus in my collection (I would
like her).
With best greetings,
Gert