From:
Ellen Bulger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 10:47:56 EDT
I know I'm preaching to the faithful here, but honestly! These seashell bans
are largely so that politicians can look like they are eco-friendly without
actually doing much work, annoying powerful potential campaign donors
(developers et cetera) or getting off their pork-fattened backsides to
actually accomplish anything. Waste management is not an issue the public
pays attention to or is willing to spend money on, so water quality gets
worse and worse. Real Estate is big bucks and heaven forfend we stand in the
way of somebody building by the water. Wildlife disappearing? It couldn't be
the fact that last year's wetland is today's hotel and condos, or that the
new marina is where the mangroves used to be. It must be us pesky shellers.