From:
George Watters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 09:04:25 -0400
I have met people who swore they have seen live mussels floating merrily
downstream. Since most people can't tell a live from a dead mussel, I have
my doubts. But the term "floaters" must have originated somewhere. So I
agree we're talking about decomposing anodontines rising to the surface.

Also, thanks to Aristotle (and necessarily continuing through medieval
times), it was well-known that mussels swam to the surface at night and
gulped air. The air became pearls. This was common knowledge.

In the Ohio River, on an almost annual basis, the Asian exotic Corbicula
dies en masse and the bodies (minus the shells) float to the surface. The
whole river looks as if it is covered with popcorn. Fragrant popcorn.

I must admit that one of my favorite diversions when out collecting with
someone is to get upstream and carefully send single valves floating
downstream to them. The look on their face is precious. I'm such a scamp.

G. Thomas Watters, PhD
Curator of Molluscs
Department of Evolution, Ecology and Organismal Biology
Museum of Biological Diversity
The Ohio State University
1315 Kinnear Road
Columbus, OH 43212