From:
George Watters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 07:46:14 -0400
There are two pallida. Pfeiffer named a Cyclostoma pallida, but no one
knows what it represents. Pfeiffer stated that Morelet had collected the
specimen in Cuba, but later Morelet said he didn't (but he never said where
he DID get it). I did not find any types of this species at the British
Museum, so it was probably destroyed in the Dohrn collection during WWII.

However, Gloyne named a variety of Adamsiella grayana as pallida, from
Jamaica, and it has occasionally been placed in Cistula. This may be what
you have.

Pfeiffer also named Cyclostoma radula, but from Cuba. However, Torre &
Bartsch do not mention it in their monograph of the family in Cuba. But
Arango and Poey mention it many times in their writings from there. It was
never illustrated and no types have been found, so we don't know what it
really is. It was indeed placed in Cistula, though where it would be today
is unknown. Anyway, there is no annulariid called radula from Jamaica.

That should clear things up!

At 11:19 AM 6/26/2001 +0200, you wrote:
>Dear George
>
>The name of the Cistula species in the museums
>collection from the old Biasioli collection before
>1900 are pallida and radula. I eventually want to
>know the right genus and author and family.
>Could I have more informations of these two species
>thank you best in advance and with best shelling
>greetings.
>Helmut from Innsbruck

G. Thomas Watters, PhD
Curator of Molluscs
Department of Evolution, Ecology and Organismal Biology
Museum of Biological Diversity
The Ohio State University
1315 Kinnear Road
Columbus, OH 43212