From:
Alan Gettleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 18:29:39 -0400
Linda,
Hi.  I guess Art Weil is on vacation and Harry Lee must be working as they could have provided a much more definitive answer.  "The Wentletrap Book" by Weil, et. al., list abbreviata Sowerby, 1874 as a synonym of varicosum (Lamarck, 1822).  One of
the shells I got at the COA just completed is multiperforata Sowerby, 1874 which they also consider a synonym of the same varicosum (Lamarck, 1822). There is a superficial similarity with the multiperforata with varicosum, but I am not convinced.
Unfortunately, one of the several problems with the nonetheless useful and worth having Wentletrap book is that the authors do not list all their combination of synonyms in one place, so you do not know how many synonyms they list for varicosum or
any other sp. unless you go through the index individually (and also the pages in the index are often just slightly off).
Hope to be in St. Louis for the October shell club meeting, good luck with Greentree.

Alan Gettleman
Merritt Island, FL